Thursday, August 6, 2009

"Starlight", as made famous by the band Muse


"Starlight"

Far away
This ship is taking me far away
Far away from the memories
Of the people who care if I live or die

Starlight
I will be chasing the starlight
Until the end of my life
I don't know if it's worth it anymore

Hold you in my arms
I just wanted to hold
You in my arms

My life
You electrify my life
Let's conspire to re-ignite
All the souls that would die just to feel alive

But I'll never let you go
If you promised not to fade away
Never fade away

Our hopes and expectations
Black holes and revelations
Our hopes and expectations
Black holes and revelations

Hold you in my arms
I just wanted to hold
You in my arms

Far away
This ship is taking me far away
Far away from the memories
Of the people who care if I live or die

And I'll never let you go
If you promise not to fade away
Never fade away

Our hopes and expectations
Black holes and revelations
Our hopes and expectations
Black holes and revelations

Hold you in my arms
I just wanted to hold
You in my arms
I just wanted to hold


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love music. I mean, I REALLY love music. Those of you that know me (really know me) already know that. I have always been attracted to that little piece of our brain that tells us if we like a certain song or melody. Isn't that crazy? I mean we usually know this after hearing only a snippet of the work!

I believe most people like a song if they find the tune catchy or if they've heard it enough it becomes familiar to them. Personally, I feel as though there are two reasons to find a song desirable, either I like the tune or I like the lyrics. A "flawless" song for me captures my attention on both accounts.

I chose to post these Muse lyrics for that last reason. No matter how many times I enjoy this song, I have no reason to discount it from the status of "flawless".

What's in YOUR catalogue under the "flawless" heading? Share it here.

1 comment:

A Borland said...

i love to hear that someone else is as passionate about music as me. Music is honestly my absolute favorite thing in the world. If I'm at home or in the car, music has to be on. if I can't have music playing, I am continually singing in my head. everything people say around me reminds me of song lyrics.

I agree that a lot of what moves us and captures us with music is the lyrics or the tune. While this is true, the analytical side of me had to go deeper and figure out why i loved certain songs that span such wide styles and genres. what i found (and feel free to laugh at the over analyticalness of this) was that all the songs i felt were "perfect" contained a mix of the following criteria. here are my Criteria for the "perfect" song:

1. The song has to contain a style and/or tempo change. I found that many of the songs i like change the over all mood or tone of the piece or slow down or speed up at various points of the song. i think this keeps the song interesting and forces your brain to pay attention again since it got used to the same tempo/beat for the first minute or whatever of the song. as for examples. "aqualung" by Jethro Tull. this song completely changes style and tempo no less than five times in 6 minutes. also check out "no sugar tonight/new mother nature" by The Guess Who and "Fool in the Rain" by Led Zepplin. for a newer example, "time Bomb" by the Dave Mathews Band.

2. Voices as instruments. the human voice is the most versatile and beautiful instrument known. now i don't just mean singing the lyrics. what i mean is when they use voices singing just notes or tones to accompany the music. one of the best recent albums to do this is the Staduim Arcadium album from the red hot chilli peppers. throughout most of the tracks, the guitarist John Fruscante tried to work on his harmonizing. listening closely you will pick up him coming in occasionally with just sung harmonizing tones. especially the title track. also check out "phantom Limb" by the shins. they use this well at the end of the track. songs that use acapella also get a nod in this category.

3. the song tells a story. I love songs that tell a story. some of the older artists like Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and Jim Croce were great at this. The Killers newest album (which is one of the best of the year IMHO) "Day and Age" is full of songs that tell a story. also i recommend "Testify" by Russell Crowe & The Ordinary Fear of God. and yes that is the actor. didn't know he could sing did you?

so you may ask, with all your "criteria" what is the perfect song...

"you can't always get what you want (you get what you need)" by The Rollin Stones. amazing song, musically, lyrically, and meets all my criteria....

hope all my craziness adds incite to this discussion. please feel free to critique my criteria, tell me i'm way off, or harasses me for over thinking this whole thing and not just enjoying music for being music. believe me i throughly enjoy music, i just like to think about it too :)

and i love Muse btw Lauren. Knights of Cydonia is awesome. especially the music video :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails